Sunday, October 17, 2010

Honor Thy Father.......

This summer was a most difficult season. As we age, so do those we love. And we are now in the winter of our lives, that last quarter when friends and family begin to leave us. In January, we learned of Rick's brother's terminal cancer, and in June, my father began his final descent toward the end. We made multiple trips to Illinois to see both. In August, I lost my father. He was a good man, a gentleman of the old school, who even when he lost almost everything else, tried hard not to be a bother to anyone and to be polite always. I never heard him say an unkind word to anyone. He was, in addition, both a brilliant and humble man. These are the things I learned from my father: to be excruciatingly fair; to be kind to others; to be honest, always; to never spend more than you have and to save for the future; to take responsibility for yourself and your community; that knowledge and education are priceless; that sacrificing for those you love brings its own reward; and that family is most important, above all. I may not always have met his standards, but I thank him for setting them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I do not know you and just happened to stumble upon your writing about your father's values. Thank you.

October 19, 2010 at 10:46 AM  
Blogger Weitzell4 said...

beautiful, and so true.

October 19, 2010 at 3:40 PM  
Blogger Weitzell4 said...

ps- how interesting, that Edwin, who posted above me, who has not met you, has the same name as your father. What a strange coincidence.

October 19, 2010 at 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home